Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never prior to have so numerous new techniques and clinical breakthroughs emerged in such a brief duration of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless people the opportunity to lower or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and quick method to correct vision, however stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to help ensure that you will enjoy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be fooled by elegant ads about a particular laser. Choose the doctor, not the laser. Find out who will really do your procedure, then ask about that physician's qualifications (e.g., board accreditation, special here are the findings training).
3. Choose a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a doctor does not know can injure you.
Ask for info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. If your physician won't tell you, find another one.
Ask what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected see this here prior to your eye laser surgery to remove the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Beware of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute.
Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any physician who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go in other places. You're not buying a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably provide better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the advantages: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the eyesight of millions of individuals around the globe.